LSDJ Feature WishlistEdit
These are mostly actual requests from users - so feel free to add or comment upon this. /Johan
Stuff to consider:Edit
- E commands should not alter noise shape
- R commands should reset P bends in tables (post-5.1.0)
- Using L00 in table should bend back to base pitch
- C command in noise channel (change 2nd digit/divisor code)
- I command to set Instrument Length via hardware length counter
- Add "shift" in addition to "fast/slow" pitch type in kits to allow P command to offset kit pitch
- Longer sample offset
- S command wraps to highest/lowest pitch on PU1 to allow wraps similar to P command
- "Extra deep clone" to clone instruments within phrases
- "Clean instrument data" reduces duplicate instruments with identical parameters to the same instrument
- Pre/post-5.1.0 pitch switch
- The ability to skip the first chain when the song repeats
- Move around songs in file screen (besides LOAD/SAVE/ERASE button, also add MOVE)
- Build-in-mixer feature in LSDJ, where you can adjust the different 4 channel's volume.
- Open source player
- Investigate if it is somehow possible to reduce clicks from table volume column.
- Show both WAV samples being played in border.
- Must remember to move the MUTE/LR/SYNC indicators down a row so as to maintain visual separation from the "N" line
- PC keyboard: record what's being played
- transfer instruments/phrases/songs over link cable and infrared port
- An indicator on the main screen, blinking at the rate of bpm (for a visual aid on the tempo).
- The ability to save instruments I've made through the wavetable for use in other songs.
- Add more default kits.
- Sync: if starting song play from phrase, try to sync chain position. Possible??
- Noise channel for keyboard.
- Super Gameboy special features (border graphics??)
- Speech channel for keyboard (should work but seems buggy? or?)
- Prelisten now only works when sync is off or keybd, fix it in all modes?
...these are somewhat older suggestions:
- Player that supports multiple songs on .sav
- Document how to play hand-drawn waves (manual mode). E.g., there are two hand-drawn waves (00 and 01), how to play 00 as attack and 01 as release?
- Reset automated tables with A cmd + 80 + tableno
- PC keyboard table select (maybe with num keypad)?
- ADSR in wave synth
- P, V, L cmd on noise channel
- PC keyboard: fake polyphony switching between pu1, pu2, wav
- Wave synth: would be nice with wave banks that are 32, 48, 64 frames long...
(removed stuff here to make the page tidier)
- Add way to exclude instruments from chain transpose
- After deleting a song, auto-remove the empty slots in the middle
- Provide page-by-page scrolling via D-pad left and right - actually B+up/down does this already
- Detune/finetune command
- CMD's to change synth characteristics (eg. Speed, Repeat, Length)
- Bug: in phrase screen, first set vibrato, then pitch. Won't work unless HF mode selected.
- Bug?: L and C command don't work together - same with P and C.
- Bug?: L/P and transpose don't work together.
- Custom color palette (TODO: mention LSDpatcher again in lsdj docs?)
- Add Command to modify KIT playlength [ nice effects and even melodies ] - already exists through S command
Won't happen... or?:Edit
Comments by me (Johan)
- Volume column in the phrase screen - there simply is not enough RAM.
- Separate clipboards for different stuff - probably not, RAM is limited
- External arpeggio notes in tables; allow tables to reference the note pre-increased by parameter 1/2 of the Cxy effect (c.f. effect 10xx in klystrack) - I'm sorry, but I don't immediately see the big advantage with this.
- Customizable duty cycle/"shape" parameter for synth - I don't understand how this is different from the already available sync settings
- Shape distortion for synth; more options besides clip and wrap - please describe in greater detail what you want
- Keyfollow/keytracking in a wave channel synth - the CPU is too slow to adjust filter settings live
- Second CMD column in PHRASE screen for complex work - not enough RAM
- keyboard mapping tool, allowing a user to custom map a keyboard to lsdj, especially for special keyboards with extra buttons - seems like something very few people would be interested in
- ADSR for the Wave instruments with control of it in the Phrase screen - that's really two requests in one. ADSR - maybe. Phrase screen control will not happen, because the wave synth is just too slow to change instantly while playing.
- Ability to randomize a phrase - this actually existed in versions 3.4.4 - 3.9.2, but wasn't a very popular feature.
- video - what's that supposed to mean? Maybe check out http://truechiptilldeath.com/blog/2010/05/28/lsvj-appeared/
- A timer on the main screen showing elapsed seconds and minutes of the song - there's not much screen space for this. Check project screen instead.
- A function like Ctrl+z -UNDO- (in windows) for correct errors such as accidentally deleting notes. If you delete notes, they should be in the clipboard - just press select+a to paste them back in.
- A NDS LSDJ sequencer with touch interface and the ability to create gb sav files to be used in LSDJ on the Game Boy. Why would you want that?
- Reverse sample play. I would really like this, but unfortunately it's not an easy thing to do - it's very difficult just to play two channels forwards. Instead, one will have to prepare reverse samples... (now added as kit stepback!)
- Startup demo song. Is this really a good idea? It would be pretty nice for new users to quickly check if the setup is working by pressing start... but at the same time I just think it's pretty nice to start from a clean slate.
- Command for changing kit speed - this could be done, but there are so many commands already... not sure how to fit it in.
- Groove entry in chain screen - this kind of makes sense... but not sure there is enough RAM to put a new column in chain screen.
- Use PC keyboard keys for launching chains/phrases - somewhat nice idea, but would be a lot of boring/tough work for me. If you want this, maybe one option would be to just use Ableton and sample LSDj..?